A root canal is a treatment that is designed to treat the interior of the tooth. Teeth consist of several layers. The enamel is among the hardest substances in the human body, and it covers and protects the dentin, which is softer. Inside these layers are the tooth’s internal chambers, or root canals. These contain soft tissues, including nerves, blood vessels, and connective tissue. Most teeth have between one and four root canals. Our Hawthorne root canal expert may recommend a root canal procedure if these tissues have become damaged or diseased.
Several dental issues can lead to the need for a root canal treatment. Our expert in root canal in Hawthorne may suggest treatment if you:
• Are suffering from a toothache that throbs, is aggravated by heat or cold, or worsens with pressure
• Have an abscessed tooth, which occurs when the pulp dies and forms a pocket of pus at the tip of the root
• Have a deep cavity that extends into the pulp of the tooth
• Have suffered a fracture or other dental trauma that has damaged the internal structures of the tooth
• Have had repeated dental procedures that have irritated or inflamed the pulp of the tooth
Root Canal Hawthorne
Our Hawthorne root canal expert can use a root canal treatment to save the tooth. In the past, serious dental issues such as these resulted in dental extraction, but root canal treatments allow the tooth to remain in the mouth where it can continue to perform its function. Dental X-rays or a pulp test may be needed to determine the viability of the tooth. The procedure will be completed in one or two appointments depending on the severity of the infection and other factors.
You will be given local anesthetic to numb the tooth and surrounding tissues. If you are feeling particularly uncomfortable or nervous, you may also be provided with dental sedation, which can calm and relax you. Our expert in root canal in Hawthorne will then remove the diseased tissues. A crown may be needed to restore the tooth and protect it from further damage. Contact us today to learn more or to schedule your appointment with our dentist in Hawthorne.